Adjusting to Meet Emergent Needs
If there is one thing that Rose Haven has mastered, it is the ability to adapt. This has never been more evident than during this current COVID-19 epidemic. As the days became weeks and the weeks are becoming months, we have continued to learn how to better, and more relevantly, serve in this new climate. No two days are alike, and each day we have the opportunity to talk directly with women and families who are chronically or newly homeless. We hear first-hand what challenges they are facing, and we navigate these unchartered waters with them.
As a result of these conversations and our observations, Rose Haven made the decision to revise its annual budget in April, allocating 54% more funds to direct services. As an emergency triage center in midst of a global pandemic, we are of the mindset, if not now, when?
Rose Haven is proud to be offering more:
• Hotel Vouchers – providing safety for women and families fleeing domestic violence which is amplified during the “shelter in place” order
• Rental Assistance – doubling our rental support program to keep people in housing
• Utilities Support – keeping the lights on and water running for families living in poverty
• Storage Unit Assistance – helping people who have lost their housing not lose all their belongings as well
• Education and employment support – providing uniforms, food handlers cards, online education to those able to work or continue their education
• Medical Emergency Support – helping refill prescriptions to keep people on vital medications and supplying guests with needed first aid supplies
• Prepaid Phones – providing temporary phones for people in crisis
• Sustenance – doubling our investment in nutritious breakfast and lunches
• Outdoor Supplies – acquiring more tents, tarps, and sleeping bags to make people as comfortable as possible while enduring this time outside
The outpouring of love from you and others in our Rose Haven community have given us the confidence to do this. We know you are with us, and will stay with us as long as it takes to care for our guests. Thank you for your trust in us. With each passing day, we are thankful to serve.
Katie O’Brien, Executive Director
Click here to listen to Katie’s interview on 1190 KEX with Mark Mason